Here's a look at the top 15 most read articles published at New Jersey Stage from March 5-11, 2023. Each week we publish about 70 articles, including several original columns and features, along with news releases for events happening throughout the state and nearby areas like Philadelphia and New York City. This week's top 15 includes articles from 6 counties in New Jersey (Bergen, Essex, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, and Sussex).
1) Poetic Film Exposed to Each Other screens at the 2023 New Jersey Film Festival on Saturday, January 28! Exposed to Each Other is a film by Mersolis Schone and comes to us from Vienna, Austria. This short film is based on a poetic text collage by Marion Steinfellner that brings together a multicultural and multilingual collection of Indian, Japanese, German and Austrian texts by Yuko Kaseki, Savita Rani, Mersolis Schone and Marion Steinfellner. Presented as a kind of film poem, the common thread of these texts is touch and touching which are presented as journeys and how interpersonal, intercultural encounters connect us to each other across the world. This is the fundamental question at the heart of Exposed to Each Other - How are we connected to each other? - and each scene propels us further on a multi-faceted journey exploring this idea.
2) REVIEW: "Disney's Hercules" at Paper Mill Playhouse - There’s a fine line with Disney’s adaptations of its animated musicals to the stage. Of the cannon, only “Lion King” has successfully fully made the leap from two dimensional. Paper Mill Playhouse and Disney’s stab at updating the big screen version of “Hercules” has wonderful elements, many strong performances, a solid book, but feels under baked in battle for audience dollars. There's clear appeal for families, especially boys which is admirable.
3) DJ Cassidy to Kick Off "Pass The Mic" tour at Prudential Center - (NEWARK, NJ) -- DJ Cassidy will take his highly lauded primetime television series "Pass The Mic" on tour in 2023 in partnership with Black Promoters Collective. "DJ Cassidy's Pass the Mic Live!" Tour kicks off on Friday, May 12th at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, with an epic lineup including Ashanti, Fabolous, Ja Rule, Lil Kim, Ma$e, Ne-Yo, Robin Thicke, 112, and a slew of exciting surprise guests. The debut show, brought to you by SJ Presents' "Mother's Day Good Music Festival," will be the first in a series of one-night-only events taking place throughout the year, each with its own unique roster of superstar performers.
4) PHOTOS from "Fiddler on the Roof" at Bergen County Academies - (HACKENSACK, NJ) -- Students from all over Bergen County performed in Fiddler On The Roof, the winter musical at Bergen County Academies. The BCA theatre department presented this beloved music from March 2-4 and photographer John Posada was on hand to take photos.
5) Jax releases "Cinderella Snapped" - Multi-talented singer-songwriter Jax makes her explosive return with new single “Cinderella Snapped” – available now via Atlantic Records. Far from a fairytale, the track serves as a resilient anthem (akin to her global smash hit “Victoria’s Secret”) against the societal norms forced upon us.
6) URSB Carteret Performing Arts & Events Center announces 2023 schedule of more than 40 events - (CARTERET, NJ) -- URSB Carteret Performing Arts & Events Center has announced a full calendar year of events that will feature something for everyone, Mayor Daniel J. Reiman said. Whether you like classical, standards, oldies, pop, rock or R&B, more than 30 world-class concerts will be presented at the state-of-the-art venue, he added.
7) Algonquin Arts Theatre Announces Cast and Creative for "Kinky Boots" - (MANASQUAN, NJ) -- Algonquin Arts Theatre (Pamela Ward-Executive Director) is proud to announce the cast and creative team for its spring musical, Kinky Boots. The show will run at Algonquin Arts Theatre from March 24-April 2. Kinky Boots is the winner of every major Best Musical award, including the Tony, the Grammy and London's Olivier Award. Based on the 2005 film of the same title and true events, this huge-hearted hit tells the story of two people with nothing in common - or so they think!
8) Top 15 Most Read Stories at New Jersey Stage from February 26 to March 4, 2023 - Here's a look at the top 15 most read articles published at New Jersey Stage from February 26 to March 4, 2023. Each week we publish about 70 articles, including several original columns and features, along with news releases for events happening throughout the state and nearby areas like Philadelphia and New York City. This week's top 15 includes articles from 9 counties in New Jersey (Atlantic, Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Mercer, Monmouth, Morris, Somerset, and Union).
9) NJPAC presents Riverdance with 25th Anniversary Shows - (NEWARK, NJ) -- Riverdance 25th Anniversary Show is Riverdance, as you’ve never seen it before comes to New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) in Newark for five extraordinary performances, Friday, March 10, 2023 at 8:00pm; Saturday, March 11, 2023 at 3:00pm & 8:00pm; and Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 2:pm & 7:00pm.
10) Composer Steve Mackey to Have World Premiere of "Riot" with the New Jersey Symphony and Princeton Glee Club Choir - Between April 21-23, Steven Mackey's RIOT receives its world premiere with the New Jersey Symphony and Princeton Glee Club Choir led by Xian Zhang, joined by mezzo-soprano Alicia Olatuja and Mackey himself on electric guitar. The large-scale work, written in collaboration with U.S. Poet Laureate Tracy K. Smith, was composed in honor of New Jersey Symphony’s 100th year.
11) Makin Waves Song of the Week: "Earth" by Carolyn Marosy - Jersey-raised roots rocker Carolyn Marosy wrote all the songs on her new “Loners, Misfits and Rebels” EP but one, “Earth,” which was penned by her late friend Tia “Sprocket” Palmisano, an instrumentalist who toured the world with Luscious Jackson, Ministry and Hank Williams III.
12) New Jersey Community Capital Selects Momentum Advisors to Invest $2.3M to Improve the State's Charter School Facilities - (NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ) -- New Jersey Community Capital (NJCC), the state’s largest community development financial institution (CDFI), announced that it has selected Momentum Advisors to invest $2.3 million of the $8 million Credit Enhancement Program grant awarded to NJCC in 2016 by the U.S. Department of Education. The grant is to diversify the provision of loan and lease guarantees for developing, expanding and improving public charter school facilities in disadvantaged districts in New Jersey.
13) Newton Theatre presents The Bacon Brothers - (NEWTON, NJ) -- The Newton Theatre presents The Bacon Brothers on Saturday, June 10, 2023. This is where Kevin Bacon gets away from acting and back to his musical roots with his brother, Michael. Doors are at 7:00pm, showtime is 8:00pm.
14) The Weeknd's After Hours Til Dawn Stadium Tour: A Wild Excursion Into the Unknown - On July 16, 2022, The Weeknd performed at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. The show was opened by Mike Dean and Kaytranada. Jennifer Petrics was there to cover the show and take photos.
15) McDonald's Gospelfest returns to Prudential Center on May 13th - (NEWARK, NJ) -- The Annual McDonald's Gospelfest returns to Prudential Center on Mother's Day Weekend Saturday, May 13, 2023, for the biggest and best gospel event of the year. This year's event will celebrate the 40th Year Anniversary of McDonald's Gospelfest. Live performances to help celebrate the anniversary are Hezekiah Walker and Love Fellowship Choir, the Legendary Clark Sisters and so many more!
Event previews are always one of the most popular areas of the website. Event previews get noticed when we first publish them and then get noticed again when they are brought back to the main area of the site the week the event takes place - sometimes even several months later. Make sure your events get previewed by sending press releases to us at firstname.lastname@example.org - for even more promotion, check out our ad rates which run $50-$100 for an entire month of targeted advertising which includes events listed in our online calendar. Or you have your events listed in the calendar for $10 per event.