Here's a look at the top 15 most read articles published at New Jersey Stage from November 12-18, 2023. Each week we publish about 70 articles, including several original columns and features, along with news releases for events happening throughout the state and nearby areas like Philadelphia and New York City. This week's top 15 includes articles from 7 counties in New Jersey (Atlantic, Bergen, Camden, Essex, Monmouth, Morris, and Somerset).
1) "Harry Chapin at 80: A Retrospective" The Chapin Family LIVE! at MPAC - On July 16, 1981, the music world lost one of its brightest stars with the death of singer/songwriter Harry Chapin. On Saturday, November 4, 2023, the members of his family gathered together at Morristown, NJ’s MPAC to celebrate his life with a Harry Chapin at 80 retrospective concert starring brothers Steve and Tom Chapin, daughter Jen Chapin, nieces Abigail and Lily Chapin, along with The Harry Chapin Band.
2) A Conversation with Richie Furay Who Performs at MPAC on November 18, 2023 with Firefall and Pure Prairie League - Richie Furay — considered one of the pioneers of country-rock — is coming to the Garden State on Saturday, November 18, 2023 to perform in the Legends of Country Rock concert with Firefall and Pure Prairie League at MPAC in Morristown, NJ. Furay is a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer considered by many as the voice of country rock. In fact, it is said that at an Eagles concert in Denver, band leader Glenn Frey once pointed out Furay in the audience and announced, “If it wasn’t for you, we wouldn’t be here.”
3) REVIEW: "The Great Gatsby" at Paper Mill Playhouse - For 85 years, Paper Mill Playhouse has presented musicals and plays with loving flair. The house is saturated in history – near financial ruin, fire, and a devotion to theatrical arts. For a banner anniversary, the theater unfurls a resplendent, largely glorious world premiere production of F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby reflecting the complications of romance. Book a seat on the Morris & Essex New Jersey Transit line for the musical ride of your life.
4) The Newark Museum of Art Announces the Reopening of The Ballantine House - (NEWARK, NJ) -- The newly restored Ballantine House at The Newark Museum of Art, a remarkably preserved 1885 urban mansion, will reopen as an immersive historical experience — transforming a symbol of the city’s industrial past into a testament to its diverse communities and a beacon of its bright future.
5) PHOTOS from "The Heart of Saturday Night - The Brilliance of Tom Waits" at The Vogel - (RED BANK, NJ) -- Grammy Award winner Tom Waits recorded over 30 groundbreaking albums, filled with theatrical tales of bungled romance, late-night diners, and early- morning cold fronts. Pat Guadagno and a stellar lineup of artists performed some of the musical gems from Tom's catalog in a tribute entitled, "The Heart of Saturday Night - The Brilliance of Tom Waits" on November 4, 2023 at The Vogel in Red Bank. Photographer John Posada was on hand to take photos.
6) Count Basie Center for the Arts presents Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert - (RED BANK, NJ) -- The Count Basie Center for the Arts presents Cat Power Sings Dylan: The 1966 Royal Albert Hall Concert on Monday, February 12, 2024. Tickets range from $49.50 to $99.50. Showtime is 7:30pm.
7) Makin Waves with Bruce Tunkel: 'Tougher Answers' - Bruce Tunkel has created some New Jersey’s best original music for more than three decades. At first it was with The Red House, whose success with the 1986 self-produced/released, “There Is a Window,” led to a deal with SBK Records and MTV play for “I Said a Prayer,” the single from their 1989 self-titled LP.
8) Events This Week in New Jersey: November 7-13, 2023 - Here is a look at upcoming events taking place from November 7-13, 2023 along with our featured listings. New Jersey Stage offers previews of events throughout the Garden State as well as select shows in New York City and Philadelphia areas
9) PHOTOS from "Tommy" Concert at Axelrod PAC - (DEAL PARK, NJ) -- Remember Jones and special guests are presenting The Who's rock opera album, Tommy, live in concert at the Axelrod Performing Arts Center with six performances from November 10-19, 2023. Special guests included Glen Burtnik, Jeff Kazee, JaQuita May and more. Photographer John Posada was on hand to take photos.
10) It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year in Atlantic City - (ATLANTIC CITY, NJ) -- Atlantic City, voted one of the "25 Best Christmas Towns in the USA" by Travel + Leisure, is the ultimate destination this holiday season with the return of the spectacular Atlantic City Tinseltown Holiday Experience. The citywide celebration, now in its second year, offers visitors an array of festive events throughout the resort during the month of December.
11) Earth, Wind & Fire and Chicago to Play Shows in Camden & Holmdel - (CAMDEN, NJ) -- Music legends Earth, Wind & Fire and Chicago, two of the most successful and critically-acclaimed bands of all time, have announced the return of their renowned co-headlining tour across North America – Heart & Soul 2024 Tour. The Live Nation produced tour brings together the timeless music of Chicago and the iconic catalog of Earth, Wind & Fire for one unforgettable night of music filled with epic sets from each artist that will culminate in an encore performance with both bands on stage together.
12) Teaneck International Film Festival Wraps Its 18th Anniversary Proving It's A Force of Unity and Reconciliation - (TEANECK, NJ) -- Thousands of people from diverse backgrounds came to Teaneck to attend and celebrate "the film festival with a social conscience" with its permanent theme of Activism: Making Change. In a township that media has most recently portrayed as fractured by tensions in the Middle East the Teaneck International Film Festival (TIFF) proved that this community rises above divisiveness and in the spirit of the Teaneck tradition comes together even in the most challenging of times.
13) Rock On! This Week's Sound Bites...11/16/23 - "Yeah man, it's a busy season for sure," says Foghat vocalist and guitarist Scott Holt as he discussed their recent release "Sonic Mojo" and the band's future plans. "The album came out on November 10, the first singles were "Drivin' On" and "She's a Little Bit of Everything."
14) Artists Mike Quon and Colin Goodall to display their works at the Gallery on Grant - (DEAL PARK, NJ) -- The Gallery on Grant, located in the Axelrod Performing Arts Center, is pleased to exhibit Modern Panoramas, showcasing the work of two local artists, Mike Quon and Colin Goodall, from November 10 to January 31, 2024.
15) Jason and Travis Kelce Team Up for Christmas Duet on "Fairytale of Philadelphia" - (PHILADELPHIA, PA) -- For the third single from the upcoming A Philly Special Christmas Special (Vera Y Records), Jason Kelce, Jordan Mailata, Lane Johnson and Connor Barwin tapped fellow NFL player, Travis Kelce to duet with his brother on "Fairytale of Philadelphia." This is a reimagining of The Pogues' holiday classic, "Fairytale of New York," and the Philly-centric lyrics were written in collaboration by members of The Philly Specials. Producer Charlie Hall and engineer Nick Krill traveled to Kansas City this summer to capture Travis' performance for the album.
Make sure your events are part of our weekly columns by sending press releases to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Event previews are always one of the most popular areas of the website. Event previews get noticed when we first publish them and then get noticed again when they are brought back to the main area of the site the week the event takes place - sometimes even several months later. We also run weekly columns promoting events, music, and theatre shows taking place for the week. These columns include our featured event previews and event listings along with all of our event previews of the week. Many times, they are among the most read stories of the week. There is no cost for us to run your press releases! For even more promotion, check out our ad rates which run $50-$100 for an entire month of targeted advertising and includes events listed in our online calendar. Or you can have your events listed in the calendar for $10 per event. Either way your events will be featured in the weekly columns. NJ Stage keeps our rates low so they are affordable to arts organizations of all sizes.