(BURLINGTON, NJ) -- The ArtPride New Jersey Foundation, in partnership with the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, announced the winners of the 2018 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards on March 14. More than 18,000 ballots were cast in the annual contest, which celebrates the extraordinary work of New Jersey’s vital, vibrant and diverse arts community.
From 11 arts districts and 116 organizations – the greatest number of nominees since the creation of the Awards in 2008 – 17 cultural organizations were chosen as this year’s honorees.
“For more than a decade, the People’s Choice Awards has blown us away, and this year is no exception,” said Allison Tratner, Interim Executive Director of the State Arts Council, during today’s awards ceremony at ArtPride’s headquarters at Lyceum Hall Center for the Arts in Burlington, N.J. “The outstanding nominees get better every year, and their passionate patrons and fans come out and vote by the thousands, making it known that the arts in New Jersey are not to be missed.”
The JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards are coordinated through the Discover Jersey Arts program, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts aimed at increasing the awareness of and participation in the arts.
“The arts are an unwavering force in N.J. They make an incredible impact on the economy and bring our communities together to move them forward,” said Adam Perle, President & CEO of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation. “And, after celebrating 10 years of the awards, it’s clear that the arts matter to New Jerseyans.”
The article continues after this ad
The 2018 JerseyArts.com People’s Choice Awards winners are:
- Favorite Large Performing Arts Center: New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark
- Favorite Small Performing Arts Center: South Orange Performing Arts Center, South Orange
- Favorite Large Theatre to See a Musical: Paper Mill Playhouse, Millburn
- Favorite Large Theatre to See a Play: McCarter Theatre Center, Princeton
- Favorite Small Theatre: Princeton Summer Theater, Princeton
- Favorite Art Museum: Grounds For Sculpture, Hamilton
- Favorite Art Gallery: Arts Council of Princeton, Princeton
- Favorite Symphony/Orchestra: New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, Newark
- Favorite Choral Group: Paper Mill Playhouse Broadway Show Choir, Millburn
- Favorite Ballet Company: American Repertory Ballet, Princeton/New Brunswick
- Favorite Modern/Cultural Dance Company: New Jersey Tap Ensemble, Bloomfield
- Favorite Opera Company: Opera Theatre of Montclair, Montclair
- Favorite Music Festival: Montclair Jazz Festival, Montclair
- Favorite Film Festival: Montclair Film Festival, Montclair
- Favorite Adult Art Class: Grounds For Sculpture’s Make Art Workshops, Hamilton
- Favorite Visual Arts Camp: Montclair Art Museum's SummerART Camp, Montclair
- Favorite Performing Arts Camp: NJPAC’s Young Artist Summer Intensive Program, Newark
- Favorite Downtown Arts District: Montclair
- Favorite Jersey Shore Theatre: Cape May Stage, Cape May
- Favorite Jersey Shore Summer Arts Camp: Long Beach Island Foundation of the Arts and Sciences, Loveladies
JerseyArts.com is the official website of Discover Jersey Arts, a cosponsored project of the ArtPride New Jersey Foundation and New Jersey State Council on the Arts dedicated to increasing the awareness of and participation in the arts in New Jersey. The site features a comprehensive cultural events calendar and arts directory; feature stories on Culture Vultures Arts Weekly and the Jersey Arts Podcast; details on Jersey Arts Membership, including discounts and exclusive member events; an online gallery of New Jersey artists; and other content about the state’s cultural community.
The ArtPride New Jersey Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that promotes the value of the arts to New Jersey’s quality of life, education and economic vitality through research and a variety of programs and services. For more information about ArtPride, visit www.ArtPrideNJ.com.
The New Jersey State Council on the Arts, created in 1966, is a division of the NJ Department of State. The Council was established to encourage and foster public interest in the arts; enlarge public and private resources devoted to the arts; promote freedom of expression in the arts; and facilitate the inclusion of art in every public building in New Jersey. The Council receives direct appropriations from the State of New Jersey through a dedicated, renewable Hotel/Motel Occupancy fee, as well as competitive grants from the National Endowment for the Arts. To learn more about the Council, please visit www.artscouncil.nj.gov.