(OCEAN GROVE, NJ) -- A colorful and cherished tradition, the Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association (OGCMA) will present Victorian Day and Illumination Night celebrating Ocean Grove’s Victorian and Methodist heritage, on Friday August 12 (from 8:00pm – 10:00pm) and Saturday, August 13 (from 12 Noon to 8:30pm). Attendees are encouraged to dress up for this historic celebration. Most events are free offering a fun-filled day and evening for the whole family.
On Friday evening August 12 (from 8:00pm – 10:00pm), take a leisurely stroll through Auditorium Square, where Ocean Grove’s historic tents will be decorated with colorful lanterns and lights, with live music provided by Elizabeth Rajcok and Raphael & Aly. The tradition began in 2014, inspired by the “Grand Illumination Night” celebration at OGCMA’s sister Camp Meeting on Martha’s Vineyard.
On Saturday August 13, starting at 12 Noon, the day’s offerings will include:
* Live music, self-guided and historic walking tours, including tents, the Great Auditorium and Centennial Cottage (1:00pm-4:00pm). Note: registration required for tent tours.
* Victorian Era games and carousel rides (12:00pm-5:00pm)
More offerings on Saturday August 13 include:
* Children’s games games/crafts and a carousel ride (1:00pm-3:00pm)
* Victorian era crafts, Top Hats and Parasols (1:00pm – 3:00pm)
* “History Hymns and Fashion” by Lady Lisa (1:00pm-1:45pm)
* “Mrs. Thornley’s Vintage Tent Tea” with tea and edibles by Sweet Tease (2:00pm - tickets required)*
* Top Hat and Parasol Parade (3:00pm)
* “Victorian History of Women in Ocean Grove” (4:00pm-4:45pm)
* Buster Keaton silent movie (“Our Hospitality”) in the Great Auditorium with live organ accompaniment by Ben Model (ticketed event - 8:30pm)
*Note: Mrs. Thornley’s Tent Tea will take place in the Auditorium Pavilion Garden. The event will be covered by a party tent and will be rain or shine. Live music will be played throughout the tea. The afternoon tea will be provided by Sweet Tease. The menu will consist of scones, clotted cream and jam, cucumber sandwiches, vegetable pin wheel sandwiches, chicken salad croissants, brownies, cheesecake with blueberries, lemon bars and of course tea, served hot or iced.
For a complete schedule and to order tickets, visit https://www.oceangrove.org/victorian