Reginald M. Browne, Juror, Ellarslie Open 40
(TRENTON, NJ) -- Trenton City Museum has announced Reginald M. Browne, Vice-Chair of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and Chairman of the Creative Capital Foundation, as Juror for the 40th Ellarslie Open. Artists from greater Trenton and beyond may enter artwork online from April 1 to May 11 for consideration in the show, which runs from June 24 through September 30.
Diane Ciccone, Vice President of the Trenton Museum Society, said, “Reginald Browne brings a fresh and exciting perspective as a supporter of artists and the arts. We look forward to his vision as juror for Ellarslie Open 40.”
“Forty is quite a milestone not only for the Ellarslie Open but also for the Trenton Museum Society, which itself marks 50 years in 2023,” said TMS President Joan Perkes. “The Open debuted a few years into the partnership with the City of Trenton that transformed Ellarslie Mansion into the Trenton City Museum. Since its inception, the Ellarslie Open has been fully intertwined with the museum’s history and with the TMS and community members who create and sustain the museum’s offerings.”
Artists may submit up to four works online for consideration in Ellarslie Open 40. The prospectus, timeline, and entry link (the Call for Art goes live April 1) are at ellarslie.org/EO40. The top honor, Best In Show Overall, comes with an award of $1000. Top prizes will also be given in each of five categories (painting; works on paper; sculpture; photography; digital art) and through special sponsorships.
Showcasing contemporary works by established and emerging artists from across the region and beyond, the Ellarslie Open has developed into the area’s premier annual juried exhibition since it began. In 2022, from 528 entries, 163 diverse works of art were exhibited by artists from greater Trenton, across New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York, and beyond. The 2023 show will open Saturday, June 24, with an EO40 Artists & Members Reception. It will remain on view through September 30. Gallery talks and other events related to the exhibition will be announced.
Juror Reginald M. Browne is the Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA), Chair of PAFA’s Board of Governors of Art College, and a member of the Executive Committee. He is the Chairman of Creative Capital Foundation, a nonprofit, grantmaking organization whose mission is to provide grant funding to artists in the creation of groundbreaking new work. He is on the board of Silver Art Projects, a nonprofit organization that provides artists with free, year-long studio space and career development opportunities that accelerate and enhance their artistic practice.
A Principal of GTS Securities, an automated multi-asset class market maker headquartered in New York City, Mr. Browne has a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from La Salle University where he serves on the Board of Trustees. He and his wife Dr. Aliya Browne are known as influential collectors of contemporary African diasporic portraiture and abstract expressionist art.
EXHIBITIONS THROUGHOUT 2023 CELEBRATE TRENTON MUSEUM SOCIETY AT 50
Leading up to and following Ellarslie Open 40, a year of exhibitions celebrates the Trenton Museum Society’s support of art and artists.
* “Trustees Collecting”: Curated by Joan Perkes and Diane Ciccone. On view through April 16. 80+ eclectic works from the personal art collections of over 40 current and former TMS trustees.
* “Fast Forward to 40”: Curated by Carol Hill. Opening April 21, this special show takes viewers on a flight through art and time, displaying four decades of memorabilia plus Ellarslie Open artwork purchased by TMS.
* “Ellarslie Open 40”: Juried show opens June 24; Juror: Reginald M. Browne.
* “Tiles of Trenton”: Exploring Trent Tile and other tile manufactures from Trenton’s decorative arts and industrial history. Opening date to be announced.
* “TAWA at 45”: Curated by Elizabeth Aubrey and Mary Yess. A celebration of the incredible talents of artists who have participated in the Trenton Artists Workshop Association throughout its continuous history. Opening Reception October 7.
* “NEXT: Not Just an Exhibition, a Happening”, juried and curated by Diane Ciccone, Jane Malloy, and Edwin Torres. Cutting-edge artwork and diverse media, materials, and performances will consider the question, “What’s next?” Show opens December 9.
The Trenton City Museum is housed in Ellarslie Mansion, an 1848 Italianate Villa in the heart of Trenton’s historic Cadwalader Park, which was designed by the legendary Frederick Law Olmsted. The building is owned by the City of Trenton. Ongoing and rotating shows explore and celebrate Trenton’s history and culture and showcase contemporary regional art and artists. Museum hours are Friday and Saturday from 12:00pm to 4:00pm and Sundays from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. There is no admission fee, but donations in support of the museum’s mission and programs are welcomed. Visit ellarslie.org to learn more.
New Jersey Stage © 2023 by Wine Time Media, LLC | PO Box 140, Spring Lake, NJ 07762 | email@example.com
Nobody covers the Arts throughout the Garden State like New Jersey Stage!
Images used on this site have been sent to us from publicists, artists, and PR firms.
If there is a problem with the rights to any image, please contact us and we will look into the matter.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and on our RSS feed