Here's a look at the top 15 most read articles published at New Jersey Stage from September 17-23, 2023. Each week we publish about 70 articles, including several original columns and features, along with news releases for events happening throughout the state and nearby areas like Philadelphia and New York City. This week's top 15 includes articles from 9 counties in New Jersey (Bergen, Burlington, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Monmouth, Ocean, and Sussex).
1) Excellent personal documentary From Inside of Here screens at the Fall 2023 New Jersey Film Festival on Sunday, September 24! - From Inside of Here, a documentary film by Bill Basquin is a truly personal and intimate documentary film which explores nature and the wild world through the filmmaker’s unique perspective. The film uses many aspects of cinematography, multiple media types and meaningful storytelling to show the fragile but interconnected world of an ecosystem, through both the filmmaker’s and audiences’s own eyes.
2) Carteret's 47th annual Ethnic Day Takes Place On Saturday - (CARTERET, NJ) -- Having kicked off September 13 with a carnival rides and games, a battle of the bands, and a freestyle music night, Mayor Dan Reiman's Charity Carnival continues with the Borough's 47th annual Ethnic Day from noon to midnight on Saturday, September 16, and its Charity Car Show from 10:00am to 3:00pm on Sunday, Sept. 17, all in Carteret Park on Carteret Avenue.
3) Mountain Creek Resort presents Oktoberfest this Weekend - (VERNON TOWNSHIP, NJ) -- Home to New Jersey’s favorite Oktoberfest celebration, Mountain Creek Resort pulls out all the stops for this one-of-a-kind fall festival that takes place September 16-17, 2023. Adults can participate in lawn games like the stein and pie eating contests, lumberjack contest, hay bale toss and wife carrying relay, or battle it out in a classic sack race, while kids enjoy petting zoos, bounce houses and face painting. Guests can also take free sky rides on the Mountain Creek lift or experience Mountain Coaster rides for just $15 per ride.
4) Marc Ribler's Story Road releases "Every Picture Tells A Horror Story" - Marc Ribler, singer-songwriter-musician-producer and music director for Stevie Van Zandt has just dropped the next single ("Every Picture Tells A Horror Story") from his latest band project, Story Road.
5) Montclair Jazz Festival Draws Over 17,000, Breaking Attendance Record - (MONTCLAIR, NJ) -- On Saturday, September 9, the Montclair Jazz Festival launched its much-anticipated Downtown Jamboree, an all-day multi-stage festival. The festival set a new attendance record, drawing an impressive 17,000 music fans to downtown Montclair, New Jersey. Unexpected severe weather forced a three-hour mid-afternoon delay due to lightning and heavy rain. Still, despite this setback, the 14th annual Montclair Jazz Festival roared back to life in the evening with host Alonzo Bodden from Last Comic Standing helping to keep the mood light. Attendees were treated to three more hours of sensational jazz performances from artists like Antibalas, Michael Mwenso and the Shakes, Regina Carter, Christian McBride and the New Jawn, and Melanie Charles.
6) PHOTOS from "Sunset Boulevard" at Music Mountain Theatre - (LAMBERTVILLE, NJ) -- Music Mountain Theatre is currently presenting Sunset Boulevard weekends through October 1st. The musical is based on the film and screenplay by Billy Wilder and features music by Andrew Lloyd Webber and a libretto by Don Black and Christopher Hampton. This is the twelfth mainstage show of MMT’s 2023 season. Photographer John Posada was on hand to take photos.
7) Jersey City's Exchange Place to host 5th Annual Salsa & Latin Jazz Series - (JERSEY CITY, NJ) -- Pier Fest, Jersey City’s annual Latin Jazz & Salsa series is returning Friday nights this September. Riverview Jazz, the producers of the Jersey City Jazz Festival, have partnered once again with Exchange Place Alliance to present the music and dance series at the J. Owen Grundy Plaza located where Montgomery St meets the Hudson River. The events begin Friday, September 8th at 6:00pm and will run consecutive Fridays through September 29th. Each event features two world-class bands, food trucks, a Salsa dance lesson, and is free to the public.
8) Chartwell Gardens to Hold Monarch Butterfly Festival - (MARLTON, NJ) -- /PRNewswire/ -- As the mesmerizing Monarch butterflies embark on their incredible journey across North America, Chartwell Gardens is proud to announce the upcoming Monarch Butterfly Festival on Sunday, September 17, 2023 from 1:00pm to 5:00pm. This promises to be a day filled with wonder, education, and fun for both kids and adults alike. There will be live bands, activities, food trucks, guided garden tours, interactive workshops, a marketplace, and a live butterfly release.
9) Do Portugal Circus to Perform at Staten Island Mall - (STATEN ISLAND, NY) -- Do Portugal Circus is an internationally acclaimed circus group who have been enthralling audiences across the globe for over 30 years with its entertaining performances. Do Portugal Circus is proud to announce its upcoming performances in Staten Island, NY. The show will be held at the Staten Island Mall every day from August 25 - September 17, 2023.
10) bergenPAC presents An Evening with John Cusack and Screening of "Better Off Dead" - (ENGLEWOOD, NJ) -- Bergen Performing Arts Center (bergenPAC) presents An Evening with John Cusack on Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 8:00pm. With an impressive body of work spanning the course of three decades, John Cusack has evolved into one of Hollywood’s most accomplished and respected actors of his generation, garnering both critical acclaim as well as prestigious accolades for his dramatic and comedic roles. He will take the bergenPAC stage to talk about his career after screening his 1985 comedy Better Off Dead.
11) American Repertory Ballet Announces Exciting Dancer Promotions and New Hires for the 2023-24 Season - (NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ) -- American Repertory Ballet (ARB) is excited to announce the latest appointments and promotions within its Company for its upcoming 2023-24 season. These advancements mark a significant milestone in the dancers’ careers, underscoring their talent and commitment as professional ballet dancers.
12) Jackson Pines Headlines Albert Hall Heritage & Americana Festival on Saturday - (WARETOWN, NJ) -- This Saturday, September 16th, while Sea Hear Now takes over the northern shores of Asbury Park, another, albeit more humble, festival will be taking place just twenty-six miles down the parkway by the bay in Waretown at Albert Music Hall.
13) REVIEW: Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp through the Cotton Patch - Now showing at the Music Box Theatre in New York City, Purlie Victorious: A Non-Confederate Romp through the Cotton Patch is poised for a Broadway triumph. A revival of Ossie Davis’s 1961 pre-Civil Rights era play, Purlie Victorious is a comedy tour-de-force that packs a punch in our conflicted times.
14) Algonquin Arts Theatre presents "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" - (MANASQUAN, NJ) -- Algonquin Arts Theatre has announced the cast and creative team for its October musical, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The show will run at Algonquin Arts Theatre from October 7-22, 2023. Based on the Victor Hugo novel and songs from the Disney animated feature, The Hunchback of Notre Dame showcases the film's Academy Award-nominated score, plus new songs written for the stage.
15) An Interview with Alexandra Jardvall about Springsteen, Endometriosis, and Performing in Asbury Park For The First Time - (ASBURY PARK, NJ) -- Swedish singer-songwriter Alexandra Jardvall will headline the Endo Warrior Benefit Show at Asbury Lanes on Sunday, September 10, 2023. The music begins at 2:00pm and also includes performances by New Jersey artists Jake Thistle and Chris Fritz. The benefit is presented by Spring-Nuts and will raise awareness and funds for Endometriosis Research and the Endometriosis Foundation of America.
Event previews are always one of the most popular areas of the website. Event previews get noticed when we first publish them and then get noticed again when they are brought back to the main area of the site the week the event takes place - sometimes even several months later. We also run weekly columns promoting events, music, and theatre shows taking place for the week. These columns include our featured event previews and event listings along with all of our event previews of the week. Many times, they are among the most read stories of the week.
Make sure your events are part of our weekly columns by sending press releases to us at firstname.lastname@example.org - for even more promotion, check out our ad rates which run $50-$100 for an entire month of targeted advertising and includes events listed in our online calendar. Or you can have your events listed in the calendar for $10 per event. Either way your events will be featured in the weekly columns. NJ Stage keeps our rates low so they are affordable to arts organizations of all sizes.