(NEWARK, NJ) -- The New York Red Bulls and Newark Arts are thrilled to share a public art opportunity for the Ironbound section of Newark. This request for proposals calls on artists to submit mural concepts that embrace the culture and community of soccer. The mural is located at 529-531 Market Street, a site commonly crossed when local fans journey from Newark, over the Jackson Street Bridge to a match at Red Bull Arena.
Artists are asked to present concepts that share the energy and lifestyle embedded in the sport. Soccer is deeply rooted in Newark’s many communities and it is an event that brings families and friends together. With this artwork, we hope to create a destination point within the lronbound where fans can gather in celebrating the story of how the game of soccer unites us all.
Submissions will close on July 25th at midnight. The selected artist will execute the mural in August of 2022. Click here for the submission page.
The opportunity is created with the support of The New York Red Bulls.
* Show an artistic expression of the culture of soccer and how it promotes togetherness.
* Capture the energy of the game and its fans. (i.e Red Smoke/Flares, Waving Country/Checker Flags, Groups Raising Scarves, External Fans, Street/Youth Soccer, Various Country Flags, etc.)
* Create a narrative and visual representation of the lronbound and its rich culture, diversity, and communities within it.
* Intentional colors, textures, and patterns tied to the sport and the Ironbound’s landscape.
* A nod to Red Bull and the New York Red Bulls Brand, as well as the inclusion of associated people and iconography. (i.e Red Bulls Players, In-Arena Fans, Arena structures, Running Bulls, etc.)
The mission of Newark Arts is to power the arts to transform lives. Established in 1981 as the Newark Arts Council, the organization’s vision is to become a nationally recognized catalyst for the collaborative power of the arts in the City of Newark and urban America. Representing hundreds of artists and more than 80 arts organizations, Newark Arts is a strategic partner on “creative placemaking” that spurs economic opportunities in the city. Through Newark ArtSource, Newark Arts brokers relationships, connecting local artists and their work to major development projects throughout the City. With some $4 billion in development in the city, Newark Arts serves as an intermediary for developers that are building new buildings or revitalizing old structures and want their spaces to reflect the local culture.