(FREEHOLD, NJ) -- The Master Gardeners of Monmouth County awarded Howard Bodnar Memorial Scholarships to five Monmouth County high school graduates, who will be pursuing careers in horticulture related fields, during an awards ceremony held on June 29, 2022.
The 2022 Master Gardeners Howard Bodnar Scholarship award recipients are:
* Yanela Frank who graduated from Howell High School and the Monmouth County Career Center. Frank will attend Mercer County College to study plant science and floral design.
* Annaliese Heidelberger who graduated from Trinity Hall High School in Tinton Falls. Heidelberger will attend Franklin & Marshall College to study environmental science.
* Ryan Kotch who graduated from Wall High School and the Monmouth County Career Center. Kotch will attend Ocean County College to study botany and plant biology.
* Jonathan Lu who graduated from Middletown High School South. Lu will attend Purdue University to study botany and plant biology.
* Cassandra Seeley who graduated from Manasquan High School. Seely will attend the University of North Carolina at Wilmington to study environmental science.
“As a County with a strong tradition of supporting our agriculture industry, we are thrilled that the five award recipients will continue to honor that tradition and hone their skills to join this necessary field,” said Commissioner Lillian G. Burry, liaison to the Rutgers Cooperative Extension. “Awardees are selected based on their interest in the fields of horticulture that have been demonstrated through course work, employment, extra-curricular activities, community service, and have received recommendations. Congratulations to the recipients and we wish you success in your future endeavors.”
The Monmouth County Master Gardeners hold several fundraising events during the year that are used to fund the scholarship program.
Applications for the next Monmouth County Master Gardener scholarship program will be available on Jan. 1, 2023, from the Rutgers Cooperative Extension of Monmouth County. The deadline for submission of a complete application is April 15, 2023.
PHOTO: (L to R) Yanela Frank, Cassandra Seeley, Annaliese Heidelberger and Jonathan Lu.