(BELMAR, NJ) -- As the venues began to shut down due to the pandemic and there wasn't much to cover arts wise, the publisher of New Jersey Stage returned to creating radio shows.
Gary Wien, publisher, would go on to create three different shows - all revolving around rock and roll and Americana artists. The shows include Classic Jersey - music by Garden State artists from the past to present; Bring Me The Head of Max Headroom - a tribute to 80s rock; and Lighty's Corner - a show that largely features new music from around the world. For the latest episode of Lighty's Corner, the music stayed close to home.
"The other day it dawned on me that as bad as 2020 has been, it has been a surprisingly good year for music from artists connected to New Jersey," said Wien. "During a year with roughly 250,000 deaths, a virus raging across the country, job losses, venues closed, isolation, and fear - music is one thing that may be something of a bright spot. So I decided to record a special show spotlighting 30 artists who put out music during the year."
Lighty's Corner: Episode 11 includes artists from 14 of the state's 21 counties. It features songs from the beginning of the year to those released in October; songs inspired by the pandemic or the election, and songs that could have been released any time.
The track list includes songs from some of New Jersey's biggest artists (Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi), bands that resurfaced in 2020 with their first recordings in nearly a decade or more (The Milwaukees and Dramarama), and some recordings by bands who many never expected to hear from again (Wellbaby, The Blakes, and The Amboys).
The radio shows are available at ThePenguinRocks.com - an online radio station of sorts that rotates through a series of DJ run programs each day. In addition to Wien, the station includes shows by Mike Marone, Sean Carolan, Danny Coleman, Matt Barker, John Godfrey, and two shows by Lee Mrowicki including "Radio Jersey" - a two hour show showcasing Garden State artists every day Monday through Friday.
Here's the playlist for Lighty's Corner: Episode 11 and links to the artists. New Jersey Stage encourages you to check out their work and help support them by buying their latest release. With few exceptions, these artists have been unable to perform live to earn a living during the pandemic.
1) Mike Daly & the Planets - "This Is My Life"
2) Arlan Feiles - "Homeward"
3) The Milwaukees - "Wild Heart"
4) Dramarama - "Up To Here"
5) Bruce Springsteen - "If I Was The Priest"
6) Red Wanting Blue - "This Is The End"
7) Anthony D'Amato - "When I See You Again"
8) Zara Phillips - "Heartache"
9) Brian Fallon - "Vincent"
10) Nick Ryan and Taylor Tote - "Evergreen"
11) Shane Casey - "Oh Father"
12) Val Emmich - "Acting The Optimist"
13) Rick Barry - "A Sincere Critique Of 45"
14) Bon Jovi - "An American Reckoning"
15) Bruce Tunkel - "American Patriot"
16) Wellbaby - "This Is A Love Song"
17) The Blakes - "Trespassing"
18) The Amboys - "In My Head"
19) Gooch and the Motion - "Zodiac"
20) Stella Mrowicki - "Without Me"
21) Father Son Holy Goat - "Line Through Your Heart"
22) The Successful Failures - "Murder 'Neath The Silver Moon"
23) Slow Buildings - "Dead From A Distance"
24) Fairmont - "High Water Mark"
25) Brianna Musco - "Never Stay"
26) The Weeklings - "The Word"
27) Debra Devi - "The Needle and the Damage Done"
28) Sonofdov - "Battle Lines"
29) Amanda Rose Riley - "The Difference Between"
30) Deal Casino - "Best Year"
If you are an artist interested in being considered for one of his radio shows, you may submit mp3s or download links to email@example.com