Book and Lyrics by Jennifer Kirkeby, Music by Shirley Mier
Based on the book by Ludwig Bemelmans
Directed by Beatriz Esteban-Messina
In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines lived 12 little girls in two straight lines.” So begins this delightful story of Madeline’s Christmas! The day begins like any other day. Miss Clavel takes the 12 little girls on their morning walk. They go to the zoo and then back to school for their French history lesson. Suddenly disaster strikes when everyone gets the flu! Everyone that is, except for the ever resilient Madeline. Saddened that they may not be able to go home for Christmas, the girls and Miss Clavel take to their beds. But on Christmas Eve, the adventure begins when there is a knock at the front door.
AUDITION DATES: September 15 6:00 and September 18 at 7:00
Performance dates December 7, 8, 14, 15
The cast of characters:
MADELINE : The brave and endearing little girl who turns tragedy into triumph at Christmas for Miss Clavel and all of the girls at the “Old House in Paris.” (female; aged 12-25.)
MISS CLAVEL: The disciplined yet loving boarding-school nurse (or nun) who watches over the “twelve little girls in two straight lines.” (female aged 30-50; must sing.)
MONSIEUR BRUN: The French history teacher at the boarding school. (male; aged 40-80; does not sing)
HARSHA: The magical Rug Merchant who helps to make the twelve little girls’ Christmas wishes come true. (male; aged 20-50; must sing.)
MRS. MURPHY: The slightly bewildered yet humorous cook who works at the boardinghouse (female aged 50-80; sings in group.)
The “twelve little girls in two straight lines” who attend Miss Clavel’s boardinghouse.
(young-looking females aged 12 -30; all shapes, colors, and ethnicities; must sing.)
- A MOUSE (male or female; aged 8-12; sings in group; a solo dancer.)
What to expect at the audition:
- All will be asked to read from scripts which will be provided.
- All will be asked to sing “Hark the Herald Angels” a Christmas carol. Listen to it on youtube, and practice it in several keys (some high and some low.) An accompanist will be provided. We will have music & lyrics for you.
- All will be taught another song at the audition, and sing it as a group.
- If trying out for the MOUSE you will be asked to dance a simple ballet sequence.
- To have a lot of fun! YES fun!
What to bring to the audition:
- a small photo or headshot (it can be returned to you)
- a precise list of all the dates between Sept 30 and Dec 4 when you are NOT available for practice.
- if trying out for the MOUSE bring dance shoes.
- a smile and a sense of funny.