(MADISON, NJ)-- This January, Writers Theatre of New Jersey kicks off its season with the return of the popular SOUNDINGS Reading Series to Madison. SOUNDINGS combines new plays from some of the best playwrights in the country with professional actors and directors, allowing audiences to experience powerful new dramas and smart, vibrant comedies close to home. Every reading is followed by an audience discussion with the playwright, director, and Artistic Director, John Pietrowski, giving attendees a chance to be a part of the artistic process and help shape the work through their feedback and shared insights.
This year’s crop of plays features a number of New Jersey playwrights, including Lia Romeo’s “The Grand Tour,” David Lee White’s “The Festial Quartet,” and Ben V. Marshall’s “Incident at Willow Creek.” The series will also include Kevin Caruso’s “The Shook Ones,” a screenplay, and Henry Meyerson’s The Activist. Both Mr. Caruso and Mr. Meyerson are recipients of the New Jersey State Council on the Arts’ 2015 Literary Artist Fellowship in Playwriting.
“We are very much looking forward to this set of plays,” said Writers Theatre Artistic Director, John Pietrowski. “The writers are hard at work on revisions, and we are eager to get audience feedback. It’s a perfect way to spend a Winter evening, listening to new work and engaging in a community discussion of compelling ideas. Audiences can go to our website to see synopsis, biographies, and interviews with the writers. You can also get directions and a campus map.”
Soundings will take place at the Dreyfuss Theatre on Fairleigh Dickinson University’s Madison Campus. Parking is free and adjacent to the building. The theatre and restrooms are ADA Accessible.
Performances will occur on the following days in January:
- For She Who Waits by Robert Clyman on Wednesday, January 4 (Directed by James Glossman)
- The Shook Ones by Kevin Caruso on Thursday, January 5 (Directed by Rodney Gilbert)
- Vagabonds by Molly Kirschner on Friday, January 6 (Directed by Jane Mandel)
- Miss Tennessee by Joe Sutton on Saturday, January 7 (Directed by John Pietrowski)
- The Incident at Willow Creek by Ben V. Marshall on Sunday, January 8 (Directed by James Glossman)
- The Grand Tour by Lia Romeo on Wednesday, January 11 (Directed by James Glossman)
- The Sinless by Judah Skoff on Thursday, January 12 (Directed by John Pietrowski)
- The Rising Class by Jim Knable on Friday, January 13 (Directed by Michelle Tattenbaum)
- The Activist by Henry Meyerson on Saturday, January 14 (Directed by James Glossman)
- The Festial Quartet by David Lee White on Sunday, January 15 (Directed by Nick Anselmo)
Readings are free of charge, with a $10.00 recommended donation (or donate what you can). A Donation of $25 gets you a Soundings Pass, good for all of the readings.
For more information visit www.wtnj.org.